Daniel A. Hall — Principal
Known for reliability, judgment, and ability to bridge stakeholder groups, Daniel draws on over twenty-five years’ experience in environmental policy, third-party certification, and corporate partnerships. His specialties include responsible materials sourcing (e.g., wood, paper, packaging), forest management and conservation policy, biodiversity protection, and climate and forest carbon policy. With contacts in various scientific and technical disciplines, Daniel can also partner with other experts to provide a comprehensive array of services.
Daniel’s qualifications include:
- Experience advising over fifty major US and international brands in the outdoor apparel, outdoor manufacturing, retail, office supply, home improvement, banking, information management, and shipping and logistics sectors — including on procurement and supply chain practices, and programs to address biodiversity and climate change.
- Experience directing projects to recognize corporate leadership.
- Trusted by major companies and environmental advocates alike.
- Recognized leadership in third-party certification of responsible forestry — including in standards development, building market demand, representing and managing stakeholder input, and assessing system requirements.
- Experience advising agricultural and food certification systems.
- Experience as a policy analyst and advocate with leading conservation organizations, securing improvements to federal and state policies for forest management and protection, Endangered Species Act policy and implementation, and climate and forest carbon policy.
- A solid network of other sustainability and environmental professionals in North America and beyond.
- Recognition of sustainability as a bottom-line issue – from the long-term availability of natural resources to brand health and financials.
Daniel’s other current and past roles include:
- Member, High Conservation Value/IFL Working Group, Forest Stewardship Council, 2015 – Present.
- Member, Standards Committee, Non-GMO Project, 2014 – 2016.
- Member, Controlled Wood Risk Assessment Working Group, Forest Stewardship Council US, 2011 – 2015.
- Member, International Indicators Working Group, Forest Stewardship Council, 2012 – 2014.
- Director, Market Solutions, ForestEthics, 2005 – 2012.
- Member, Standards Committee, Forest Stewardship Council US, 2001 – 2007.
- Member, Wildlife Strategy Advisory Committee, Oregon Department Wildlife, 2004 – 2005.
- Director, Forest Biodiversity Program, American Lands Alliance, 1997 – 2005.
- Board Member, Forest Stewardship Council US, 2000 – 2003.
- Policy Associate, Pacific Forest Trust, 1994 – 1997.
- Assistant Policy Analyst, California Energy Commission, 1990 – 1991.
Daniel has been published in Environmental Law and Endangered Species Update, and has spoken at the Conference Board Corporate Citizenship & Sustainability Conference, EFT Sustainable Supply Chain Summit, Leadership Paper Summit, Business Ethics Network Big Box Roundup, Yale Forestry Forum, Land Air Water Conference, and ABA Environmental Law Conference.